Image Saturday 2nd November @ 20:00 GMT: Cooking With Gary 2!
Get in a brand new kitchen and compete to "cook" whatever strange "food" Gary desires each round! Check this countdown timer to see when the event starts.

The 1.14.4 Update Thread

Discuss the latest news and views from around our Minecraft server.
Zolyx
Evil Op

The 1.14.4 Update Thread

Post by Zolyx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 pm

We'll be updating to 1.14 very soon! This Wednesday 7th August at around 19:00 GMT, in fact. That's only a couple of days time. Excitement!

But before then, here's some more information about what will be happening on the day, with the usual disclaimer that anything and everything is subject to change - and the best place to get up-to-the-minute details will be on Discord, as usual.

The Plan
  • At about 19:00 GMT, I'll take the server offline and carry out a full backup. ETA: 10 minutes.
  • Once the backup is complete and safely downloaded, I'll update the server files and plugins to Minecraft version 1.14.4. ETA: 15-30 minutes.
  • With files updated, I'll fire the server up in maintenance mode - whitelist enabled - to check for any glaringly obvious problems. ETA: Who knows?!
  • Once I've finished doing a very brief check to make sure nothing is on fire, the whitelist will be turned off and everyone can join!
Hopefully the entire update process should take no longer than an hour, but you should all know by now that I am utterly terrible at making these sorts of estimates.

IMPORTANT: As with all version updates, there is a chance that showstopping bugs could be discovered after the update is complete. In the very worst case scenario, it may be necessary to roll the server back to the last 1.13.2 backup taken before the upgrade, but I'll do everything possible to avoid this and make the decision as early as I can to avoid anyone losing too much work.

The Bit Where I Read Your Minds And Answer Your Questions In Advance
Q: Will we be getting a new main world for this update?
A: Nope, it's too soon to start our sixth world yet. Arcadia is still a relatively young world - there's still one outstanding move left that I need to complete from Tesseract!

Q: Will the Arcadia overworld border be expanded for the 1.14.4 update?
A: No, the Arcadia border will remain at its current size of +/- 4600 blocks. However, the Ore overworld will get an early recycle once the update is complete so you can immediately go adventuring in search of the new blocks and mobs there.

Q: How will I be able to get the new 1.14 mobs inside Arcadia?
A: Some new mobs may not spawn naturally inside Arcadia as they spawn either at world generation or in biomes that aren't present within Arcadia's border. Players who acquired a 2019 Egg of Huntmastery for participating in this year's Easter Egg Hunt will get a small head start in acquiring these mobs, but I'm working with SmokeAndMirrors to make sure everyone has an equal chance at getting their own mobs soon after the update, with or without the Huntmastery Egg. Stay tuned for details!

Q: Wait, you can read my mind? I never agreed to this!
A: I think you'll find it's in the small print cleverly shaped like a marmot's pawprint on the contract that you're signing up to after becoming Memberised. Sorry. But I promise that your secret love for banana and marmite milkshake is totally safe with me.

If you have any other questions about 1.14 before we update, let me know on Discord! (The forum is still undergoing work but will be finally fixed up and open to everyone soon.)