1. Coming up next...
    Now - PSTIM #18 game voting! Pick some games here or on Discord! [Read more]
    Saturday 11th August @ 18:30 GMT - Build That Thing! Quickfire construction shenanigans!

The World 5 & Update Aquatic thread o' doom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tomousee

Tomousee Citizen

I would agree with the idea of having a lot more island and separate land masses. It is always nice to have coastline and water surrounding builds :cubestone:.

2. Tomousee

Tomousee Citizen

As usual, I will be transplanting several of my perpetual, almost-finished builds to the new world. I like the idea of having small cities and towns, so I would like to combine a lot of my builds into a smaller concentrated area.

Seems like a neat idea.

5 homes however..... :-\

3. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Ah indeed there was a vote for Tesseract's world seed here. I think I might like Extreme Hills islands with large oceans....or maybe wall-to-wall desert and mesa...not decided yet :)

4. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Minecraft Java Edition 1.13 is officially out now!

Hope you folks enjoy tinkering with it in singleplayer... or *gasp* on other servers! ;)

For anyone interested, there's a long, detailed post on the Spigot server forum made last Sunday to announce development builds of Spigot for 1.13. It explains that from a technical point of view, this is a very big update. A quote from md_5, one of their main developers:
    There are also significant changes that plugin developers must adjust to while updating their work to the new version. In previous updates I've made sure to wait a while to let our important plugins update to fully support the new version, then for everything else, follow a policy of "if it doesn't make errors it's probably okay". I'm not sure that this update will let me be quite so relaxed... time will tell. :p

I don't know what this will mean for our update schedule, but I'll start putting together a test of our 1.13 server setup locally on my PC as soon as a decently stable build of PaperSpigot* is released, and will post more news when that happens.

* PaperSpigot is not the same as normal Spigot. It's a server that is even more tweaked for performance than standard Spigot is, and we switched to it a while ago during our last host change in an effort to get rid of some TPS lag. It was a sticking plaster solution, really, but it's worked fairly well nevertheless.

While I'm sure Spigot will update quickly, I don't know if PaperSpigot will be the same. If it takes too long, we'll return to using Spigot as our server with the hope that switching to a fresh world will remove whatever was causing the TPS gripes in the first place.

Confused? Great! I am too! :mrgreen: :cake:

5. VeryGoodDog

VeryGoodDog Citizen

hmm i think a world with a nice mix of ocean and island would be nice, but perhaps we could look into a customized world, the one with the sliders and what not for generation, i dont know how that works on a server though...
    im going to start fiddling with customized worlds now actually.....

EDIT:
    im only talking about minor changes to the system to promote the generation of islands

EDIT 2:
    they removed the custom world feature completely ... ;(

6. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Some random seeds with some ocean/islands (each image shows approx -4000 to +4000 square)...
    -244185702094913.png -831988075536017.png -839972211012969.png -841174052408060.png 447919099508611.png 641256143403045.png

masternoj likes this.
  7. VeryGoodDog

VeryGoodDog Citizen

8. Misterwampaman

Misterwampaman Citizen

If possible, I'd like to request that Warm Ocean biomes (where coral grows) be considered natural reserves, like Ice Spikes biomes. In my opinion, they are beautiful, peaceful, and rare biomes that should be conserved if ever found in the main world.

9. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

Well it is my intention to establish a city in one when I find it. I suppose we should wait and see just how rare they end up being in our next map.

10. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

I haven't started investigating possible seeds yet but baba's first map seems like it could have potential - mesa and ice spikes biomes within the 4000x4000 area and plenty of ocean space east of spawn.

Can I ask how you made those renders, baba? Did you do them yourself or are they from some other site that we might find useful?

The old tools that we used to find the seed for World 4 (sZPeddy's Seed Scanner and Mineatlas) don't seem to have been updated for 1.13, and the only other results I've found through searching are generic seed listing sites.

Deciding our seed is something I want us to nail down by the end of the coming week, so expect some renders and a dedicated thread for that Soon(tm)...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  11. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

Broken Things in 1.13

Some redstone, apparently; something with pistons and observers. All of my redstone work perfectly, incidentally. But apparently the technical mc'ers are salty enough to stay in 1.12.2 in protest. shrug.

1.13.1 Is apparently coming soon with bugfixes for things mojang didn't have time for, since they had to release the update before they were mauled by a legion of impatient players, and hey some things were

Stuff of Sic's that actually works.

Most things. Guardian farm still works almost perfectly. Spawnproofing a 10 chunk perimeter does also make drowned spawn VERY quickly as well, but it's still very usable.

I have a very easy-to-set-up gold farm, built around turtle eggs, but pigmen must be allowed to grief. It's the same thing where villagers have to have mobgriefing on to pick up food. Insert plugin shenanigans here.

Sic vs the Gold Farm that Didn't Spawn Anything

I was having slow rates on my gold farm...until I spawn-proofed the spawn chunks. Literally. My singleplayer has not a single block below light level 7 in spawn. Took a long time. It would have been easier (and prettier) to MCEdit it into a mooshroom biome.

Why the problem? Well, in 1.13 you can port to any dimension from any dimension with vanilla commands. It's possible that to make this work, the game is no longer unloading the spawn chunks while you're in another dimension. Thus, I suspect that overworld Spawn Chunk mobs may be counting towards the nether mob cap. It's hard to tell for sure. All the technical guys don't want to play 1.13 cause they're super salty.

"We're sorry we can't help you, but your technical support is still on Windows XP. Sorry."

I'll let you know if I find out more.

All things aside, it wouldn't be a bad thing to MC edit the spawn town into a mushroom island and have that really really really vibrant green grass.

12. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Just an update on picking a world seed - unfortunately, I'm not yet able to start generating renders because dynmap doesn't yet have a version that's compatible with 1.13. I'll obviously keep a close eye on it and start making pretty pictures whenever this changes. :)

masternoj and Arya Oyvind like this.
  13. masternoj

masternoj Mod Squad

According to Longsword, Amidst actually *has* updated to 1.13 now. So that can be useful for finding seeds...

14. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

Amidst v4.3-beta4 is out, with 1.13 support. Yada yada use with caution...not the full 4.3 release yet.....arm and a leg.....blood of the secondborn....eye of newt....etc

It is unavoidably slower than previous versions due to under the hood changes. We'll see if they can pull some technical wizardry to make it faster loading on the full 4.3 release.

15. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

These are just screen grabs from Mineatlas...I am assuming/hoping that the *basic* biomes will spawn the same, so ocean will still be ocean, even if it is cold/warm etc...but not tested it TBH...

16. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

I suppose it does. I took the seed from our current World and ran it in 1.13, it seemed to generate stuff in the same Place as it is now.

17. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

18. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Okay. I expected that with the changes to aquatic biomes, 1.13 worlds would be entirely different to previous version worlds on the same seed. That makes things slightly easier for us, I guess!

Sadly though, Spigot seem to be waiting on the upcoming 1.13.1 update before getting their server to a more stable state. That means we're going to be stuck on 1.12 for at least a few more weeks yet, probably until some time in September. Hush my mouth for suggesting this might have been a trouble-free update :S

19. Heavy_Longsword

Heavy_Longsword Member

I have been searching for seeds, and here are some of my favorites:
    screenshot_default_-1876888045475832233.png screenshot_default_2934997230721448203.png screenshot_default_-4019166437381248791.png screenshot_default_-6253447865264635944.png screenshot_default_-6565177588640494028.png screenshot_default_-8263492127909406043.png