1. Coming up next...
    Now - PSTIM #18 game voting! Pick some games here or on Discord! [Read more]
    Saturday 11th August @ 18:30 GMT - Build That Thing! Quickfire construction shenanigans!

The World 5 & Update Aquatic thread o' doom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

[​IMG]

Cubians, it's that time again! The tectonic plates of the Six Faces are shifting as Mojang will soon be officially releasing Minecraft 1.13, Update Aquatic, onto us eager hordes of Steves and Alexes. A lot of you have been asking about what CW's plans are for the future, so in traditional fashion, that means we need a forum post to thrash things out!

It's a bit lengthy, so to organise it better I've grouped things into spoilers, so just click the buttons to see the meaty words within. Cup of tea ready? Great! Here we go!

General World 5 Stuff
    Will there be a new main world for 1.13?
    Judging from the feedback Smoke and I have seen, there's overwhelming demand - so yes, there will!

When will the new world be created?
    The short answer: World 5 won't happen at the same time as our 1.13 update.

The long answer: First we need to deal with the technicalities of getting CW onto 1.13. We need PaperSpigot (the server software we use) and all of our important plugins to be made 1.13 ready; this might take a week or two after the update comes out. At the same time, Smoke and I will be working on some preparations to make the transfer to World 5 smooth and polished (see below). It may be this work will take longer than the wait for server and plugin updates - we don't know for sure yet, but both sets of work need to be done before a date is announced.

Okay, but when?!
    At a very rough guess, World 5 will launch in mid-to-late August. This is a rough guess and may be wildly optimistic! You can be sure that whatever date we decide on will be widely spammed as soon as we know it.

What "preparations" are you talking about?
    Firstly, with your help, we'll find a good world seed that has interesting content out to a border of around 4500 blocks. After that, Smoke and I will work on pre-designing World 5's spawn area (in other words: Smoke will do the actual work while I just sit back and criticise ;)). Tesseract's spawn seemed to work out pretty successfully after being pre-designed so we'll try to pull out the stops to make something you'll enjoy visiting regularly!

Will I be able to transfer my stuff from Tesseract?
    Absolutely! Just like always, we value your time and don't want your efforts in Tesseract to go to waste, so after World 5 is created there will be plenty of time to get your move requests handled.

Wider Gameplay Changes for 1.13
    We're not stopping at planning just a new main world. No siree, Steve! We're also going to be making changes to the server settings to try and let players to see each other more often and make getting involved in community projects more rewarding.

Claims, Regions, and Plots
    We want a more communal way of handling land that avoids having players claim huge sections of land for projects that - most of the time - never get completed. Instead, we plan to have just 2 types of player claims:
    • Reserves: These are most like our existing claims and are meant for protecting solo or group megaprojects against vandalism. The difference is that you can't claim a reserve on empty land - they'll only be set up for projects that already show significant development. Staffers may also use reserves to protect rare biomes.
    • Private Towns: This type of claim can be made by a group of players who want to build a settlement to base themselves at. Unlike reserves, a private town starts as a 200x200 region of empty land centred around the town banner, but this can be expanded later (in blocks of 100x100) once the initial land has been used. The founders can choose to set a theme or make other rules to control how their town develops, and they're the only ones who can build inside the claim unless they contact staff to add other players into their community.
    If you're a solo player who just wants to build a modest personal base, you'll no longer need (or be able) to make a claim. Your right to build in peace will remain just as it currently is, and as long as you respect your neighbours, everyone can have a place of their own with less hassle in getting started. If another player builds too close or gives you trouble in some other way, try to settle it yourself - but if not, staff will sort things out.

There's a third type of claim that will be set up by staff at three or four points across the world:
    • Public Towns: Just as the name suggests, these towns have no set rules at all! Anyone can build anything here within CW's usual rules - pretty much like Pixellia, Voxellia, and Cubic City in Avalon. Public town markers will be placed at interesting, distant locations around the world and will all have a portal link to and from the spawn city.
    Both public and private town claims will be represented on Dynmap with markers at a central position within them, not as an actual highlighted area as happens now. Players who claim a reserve can choose to have either a marker or a traditional highlighted area.

Shop plots will see a return at spawn city but they'll be changed to a rental system so that if a player goes inactive for a long period, the plot will be automatically archived and then made available to rent by someone else.

Portals and Homes
    We also have in mind some changes to how you get around the new world. These aren't set in stone yet and are open to change based on your feedback! Let us know what you think about these two changes:
    • Our portal system will be greatly reduced. In World 5, there will only be portals to public towns and the usual otherworldly places like Ore, New Horizon, and the Contest world. You'll no longer be able to buy portal slots for 25 diablocks.
    • The home limit will be reduced to 5. Now that elytras are available and widely used, our hope is that we can encourage people to make better use of any transportation projects that get built around the world - and to visit each other more often through the /call command.

Discord's Watery, Too!
    All your feedback is valuable and you can also chat about our plans in the special #world-5 channel Discord for an even faster response!

No Move Musings Here, Please
    This thread is for questions, feedback, and ideas about the changes we're hoping to make for World 5. There'll be chance to talk about specific build moves from Tess when we open the Move Requests board in due course - please keep on topic! :)

I'll try and keep this first post updated and tidy as 1.13 and World 5 come closer. Meanwhile, please collar myself or Smoke with any questions you have. Thanks for reading, and let's look forward to getting wet!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Molly_Mayhem likes this.
  2. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

Youve w(h)et my interest, evil spectral ones.
    (yes i know its supposed to be more foodrelated but i couldnt think of another one...)

Im just curious as to how i will transfer my humble 4x4 hovel...
    (Come to think of it, might be a tad larger than 4x4. Also not a hovel. Also might not count as humble...)

3. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

No problemo! All transfer requests will be honoured. I'm certain the power of MCEdit can deal with your humble slightly-bigger-than-4x4 abode ;)

4. StoneBrine

StoneBrine Citizen

Would Walt Cubic World be considered a reserve at it's size now? Or would more work have to be put into it before being called a reserve?

And since there'll be a lower limit on homes, my subway system will become a little bit more popular

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. masternoj

masternoj Mod Squad

1) StoneBrine actually brings up a good point. Do we have a defined size at which an existing or planned build qualifies for "megabuild" status, and thus becomes eligible to be declared a Reserve?

I offer my own Castle Ood as an example- I would certainly argue that a roughly 450x450 structure qualifies, but what's the lower limit? Are we using the pre-existing threshold of 5300 square blocks (above 72x72) that limited larger builds to 2000 away from spawn?

2) As someone who makes extensive use of the Home warp system, I know how useful having more than a handful of them available is for large endeavours- such as finishing the underside of an enormous tower-top. :p

I would push for homes to stay at their current limit, or at least not be reduced all the way down to 5.

Of course, I might be too reliant on them, so my opinion may be biased by my underused legs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. StoneBrine

StoneBrine Citizen

Maybe a group of people who vote on whether a build can or can't be considered a reserve?

7. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I find this very intriguing. I'm not sure 5 homes is the right number either, but can live with going down from 10 probably. I look forward to Pentaractalandamania! I will have to make the Ling shop cool again... Something other than the flashing lights that killed the server, though...

8. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

I should probably take a poll to decide whether or not to have Galleria/Artreach moved to the new world. I kinda want to leave it in Tess, but at the same time, there are arguments to be made to move it. If we do move it though, I imagine it will have to move in tandem with the Hermitage (as I did link the two builds together :p ).

At the very least, the entirety of the Elder's Channel will need to be moved, as that is directly attached to the Hermitage. In the event that the rest doesn't come along with it, I will just link the other end to whatever new base/town I might want to set up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

If I want to preserve the guardian farm...which...I mean I do, since it's my half of my base and all....and has all my parrots....and my cats....and my ellipsis...and a wealth of potential construction materials for a new world of possibilities...

...Then I would need the new world to have a guardian temple that I can very very precisely move the base over to.....the entire 380x380 base, since in that box, there is a network of already-lit caves.

That'd be a reserve right?

Also I gotta move my ship over and the shulker and skele farms.

Ah well. Stuff to worry about after the new world is made.

10. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

I appreciate people will be concerned about having their stuff moved, and as I keep saying, we will honour all requests made to the best of our abilities. We'll be opening up the move requests board again in due course, but in the meanwhile, please let's concentrate on talking about the changes planned for World 5 :)

@StoneBrine @masternoj @Sicarine We'll look at each Reserve claim when it comes in, and staffers will be able to weigh in their thoughts. We didn't define a size limit yet, but we definitely have things we've previously labelled as "megaprojects" in mind, so the points you've raised shouldn't be too far off what we go with.

11. Tomousee

Tomousee Citizen

This is going to be a nightmare, trying to move everything :panic:

12. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I think I'm OK with the not-so-much-claim thing. We should probably remind people to build away from what looks like other people's areas. We might also run into underground buildings not being detected by overground people, though I'm not sure how much of an issue that will really be with such a large world. I never got around to putting in a portal to Lag City, so I think I'm fine with the reduced portalness as well.

13. Jardue2

Jardue2 Citizen

I feel that we're moving in a good direction here. I'd definitely love to see large dense cities like in pixellia and voxellia. I think that taking the claims away will surely help bring people together as well.
    Can't wait to see what you guys come up with for the spawn!

14. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

Just a quick question. Are we getting a new Nether and/or End? I don't mind if we keep the current ones, but if we are changing those too, I will have to make additional plans.

15. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Will there be a vote on the World Seed, like with Tess? I'm guessing a full desert/Mesa world would not to down to well ;)

16. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

Lel.
    >Update Aquatic
    >Votes on entirely mesa world.

17. Skaibae

Skaibae Citizen

> Entirely ocean world

18. Justbrotherdoug

Justbrotherdoug Citizen

I didn't know we ever voted on the world seed. Let us know what options are out there. A 60:40 water to land ratio would be good. Small ocean biomes surrounded by land, or, plentiful islands in a mostly ocean world. Myself, I plan on starting over with new builds. Only bringing over chests of materials. I am so done with MegaBigMcHuge builds that only I see. (puts MegaBigMcHuge build underground where NOBODY can see) :)

19. justsisterjuli

justsisterjuli Citizen

I am pretty excited about the idea of world 5 and hope to be able to play more in the future. I hope we don't go to only 5 home sets. If lots of people are flying around, won't it lag the server? Especially those of us with "interesting" internet.

20. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

I wouldn't worry too much about other people with Elytras lagging the server. It's just another form of getting players around, and shouldn't cause any more trouble for those not flying than using Creative Mode flight (which happens constantly at events and in the contest worlds).

It will definitely be our intention to build a new railway system for the new world. If that is not enough, you can still rely on the /tpa commands to visit each-other quickly.