1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 15th September @ 18:30 GMT - Just Archery. It's... well, er... archery. No frills. 'Nuff said, really!
    Monday 10th September - New IP address! We've been upgraded. Join us at: 198.20.114.99 [Read more]

The May host move and Boring Admin Stuff ™ thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Yikes! Words! Run for the hills, quick!

Alrighty folks, here's a bit of an update for you regarding the plans I have for doing Boring Admin Stuff through the rest of this month. Oh boy, it's a long 'un.

[​IMG]

To play on Cubic Worlds on our new host, please use this IP:

The play.cubicworlds.net shortcut will take around 2 days to update (probably much sooner for most people). Until then, stick to the IP!​

What's this "self-hosting" malarkey about?

If you're not familiar with self-hosting, it's pretty self-explanatory: I'm temporarily hosting Cubic Worlds on my own computer rather than a "proper" paid-for hosting service of some kind. There shouldn't be a major drop in performance but you may notice some unpredictable lag at times depending on my household's internet use.

While we're in this self-host mode, there are some features that won't be avilable:

● Connecting to the server through play.cubicworlds.net will not work; you should use the IP above
    ● Voting for the server to get some extra Kubes each day will not work
    ● Dynmap will be unavailable

Some things will be different:

● The server will be using 2GB of RAM (down from 6GB). RAM is a consideration in any new hosting package so I want to test how much we really need. Let's see if next weekend's event causes us problems with a decent turnout!
    ● Coreprotect logs have been trimmed back to the last 60 days. A backup of the old logs is available if needed.

The Great TPS Investigation

Cubic Worlds has been suffering from poor performance in the form of low Ticks Per Second for quite a while and I'm not surprised if some of you will have been put off playing because of it. I'm setting aside a whole bunch of time units this month in order to perform as many aimed shots are necessary to destroy any alien inefficiencies in the system, including but not limited to doing stuff like:

● Rebuilding the server's plugin list from the ground up to basically do the same as it already does, but in the most modern / best maintained way
    ● Seeking out new life and new civilisations - then destroying them (in the case of dense groups of entities that I think might be causing problems)
    ● Trying to squish bugs that some of you have already taken the time to report in this other thread
    ● Aggressively resetting the server's settings back to factory defaults, just like they were prior to the tweaks made last October that have themselves caused various oddities

I'm planning to have around 10 days of self-hosting time to do this troubleshooting in before we have a new "proper" host chosen. Hopefully we'll be settled in to the new host well before the end of the month with things running much more smoothly.

What if Zolyx wants to ruin my autofarm / superamazing redstone gadget, or murder my priceless herd of cats / parrots / enderdragons?

During this troubleshooting it's not my intention to ruin anything that you've spent a lot of time creating - that goes directly against the whole purpose of CW. If I feel that any player farms or structures need to be trimmed because they're affecting the server TPS, I will make sure to talk with the player(s) involved before any changes are made, and investigate all possible alternatives before taking any drastic action.

I hope to solve our problems without needing to change any of your stuff at all - but I know that we all want to play on a server that runs smoothly, so if changes are needed, hopefully you can be patient while we try and figure out the best solution. (It may or may not involve a ton of TNT.)

Thanks for your understanding!

Current happenings and things to be aware of

New host and plugin changes
    We're now "live" on our new host! Although I wanted to make some plugin changes at the same time, I've postponed these for now since there was a bit of trouble in getting everything set up.

I'll let the server run as it was before on self-hosting for this weekend, then look toward making changes next week.

New Horizon will be reset again and PlotSquared will be removed. As before, anything you've built in NH will be transferrable. Plots in NH will be zoned out by staffers to your request, and you can build freely within your own plot.

I want to try swapping our per-world inventory plugin to... well... Per World Inventory, as that appears to be more actively maintained and may get rid of the sudden inventory wipes that players have experienced in the past when switching worlds. It's recommended that you keep your valuable items and equipment stashed inside chests when you aren't using them - that way you shouldn't lose any gear or items when this change happens.

Black Hole, our world that exists purely to prevent Creative-mode abuse, will be moved to a floppy disk, placed in a rocket, and sent to an actual black hole. Any loopholes will be fixed through config / permissions.

ChestShop has been a staple of our server for many years but it's long in the tooth and not very well maintained. Instead I want us to check out ShopChest as a lighter, more pleasant alternative. It looks like there may be a converter to swap all of our existing shops over, which would be excellent.

I'll continue to use this thread to let you know about important dates and news. Feedback welcome, as always!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. StoneBrine

StoneBrine Citizen

NOT MY ENDERDRAGONS

SFMosquito likes this.
  3. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I look forward to the improvement! Hopefully it's not the terra cotta army, but if it is, it will go down in flames!

4. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Switching to self-hosting is taking a little longer than I thought but shouldn't now be later than around 20:30 GMT. Stay tuned...

5. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Cool, waiting for maintenance mode to end...
    So will things that rely on play.cubicworlds.net be nerfed now (e.g. dynamap, minecraftservers.org)?

6. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Yes, anything that you would normally access through play.cubicworlds.net won't work until we find a proper host.

That means no dynmap. Sorry! :(

Voting for CW during self-hosting won't work either.

Finally, for now, I've trimmed the Coreprotect logs back to the last 60 days - so don't worry if you're missing history (the old logs are available for an emergency).

7. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Inventory Plugin Change
    Our inventory plugin will be changing as we move to our new host later today.

It's recommended that you keep your valuable items and equipment stashed inside chests when you aren't using them. That way you shouldn't lose any gear or items.

Losses can be refunded, but it means a little bit of jumping through hoops for everyone involved, so stashing your gear before self-hosting ends is the best option!

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Just a bump with updates for the host move later today.

9. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I've noticed my iron farm doesn't appear to be running when I'm offline any more. I hope that's an indication that the whatever-was-causing-a-problem is fixed. Good job, sir!

10. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Unfortunately there were some hitches that are making things take a bit longer than I hoped. Shouldn't be more than another hour... keep your fingers crossed!

If it goes beyond 21:00 GMT then I'll fire up the self-host once again and consider how best to sort things out at another time. Sorry for the delay.

11. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Okay - server is alive on the new host! Planned plugin changes will be made next week since they confused the setup. Stay tuned...