1. Coming up next...
    Friday 2nd November @ 19:00 GMT - PSTIM #19! Terraria server opens. [Read more]
    Saturday 3rd November - Galloween Chaos! OooeeeoOOEEeeeooeEE!

State of the server - Chaos Mode is GO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

I don't think we need a huge wall of words to say what's obvious. This week the server has proved itself to be well and truly knackered - and strangely enough, just hoping it would get better by itself hasn't worked... :)

[​IMG]

I hoped we could ride things out using Tesseract as our main world until we upgrade to a stable setup for 1.13, but it just doesn't look like this will be possible. With that in mind, let's talk about The Plan.

The Plan
    I took a backup of the server files this morning. I've decided that this will be the very last backup of Tesseract that we'll use to transfer builds and items from when the time is right.

Until we have a "real" 1.13.1 setup available, we'll do what we did once before whilst in this limbo between versions. We step back a safe distance*, prime an Overcharged Helix Cascade Resonance Untangling Device, and watch the old universe burn.

[​IMG]

Then we step into a brand new, temporary 1.13.1 setup to have some fun in.

We embrace our old friend: C h a o s M o d e ! :panic: :tnt: :!: :cake:

What is Chaos Mode?
    It's actually not as chaotic and terrible as the name suggests... but it's catchy, and the marketing department said we needed something catchy.
    • During Chaos Mode, Cubic Worlds will be on Minecraft 1.13.1. Effectively, this is the day we update. HOWEVER: We'll be using development versions of Spigot 1.13.1 that may cause crashes, simply because we're on the bleeding edge of Spigot - but hopefully any problems will be unrelated to the problems we had until now.
    • We'll be playing in a completely fresh, blank, 1.13.1 amplified world. This is NOT World 5.
    • Nothing in any of the Chaos Mode worlds will be eligible for transfer to World 5 - but when Chaos Mode ends, a download will be made available for you to explore in singleplayer if you wish.
    • PvP is ON during Chaos Mode. Please don't be too much of a numpty and take any related Fun with a pinch of... sugar? We don't want any saltiness around here!
    • Chaos Mode is simply some throwaway fun and hilarity while we wait for World 5. It also helps me to test out various things to try and identify what might have gone wrong with our 1.12 Tesseract server. Anything and everything could change from day to day, but I'll try to make sure that nothing too destructive happens to unnecessarily waste any time you spend in CW.
    In short, Chaos Mode is a better option than simply leaving the server offline and asking you all to twiddle your thumbs.

Chaos Mode is now active and the server is online again!

While we're in this temporary setup, I'll keep you updated with any changes or discoveries here. Hope to catch you all in the server soon!

* There is no safe distance from an OHCRUD

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

Awesome! Thumb twiddling will now decrease.

3. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

Burn, baby, burn! Disco inferno! Burn that server down!

Maybe the new world should have a lot of lava.

4. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Loving the new Dynamap, the isometric view is beautiful...

But, I noticed you can enter in-game chat directly in the Dynamap. You are identified with an IP address; but this opens the door to anyone entering anything into the chat via dynamap, like spam, abuse, etc...pseudo-anonymously. Unless you can whitelist/blacklist the dynamap chat, maybe consider disabling this feature?

5. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Fair point, well spotted! If / when the dynmap returns at some stage I'll make sure this info isn't broadcast.

6. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

I uh....am like 80% done a pretty thing. I may want to move the pretty thing to World 5 once I am finished. You may also agree that you want to move my thing once you see it. At this point I am....about 5 or 8 hours of work away from completing it. I'll probably even ping you when it's done.

Edit:
    The castle at 2744 -573 is basically complete.

It's so pretty. I wanna keep it. It's not on an amplified island, so teraforming after a move would only really consist of ensuring that the seabed is smooth, and that can be done by hand instead of via a program.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. Tomousee

Tomousee Citizen

Leaked footage of Z trying to fix server

[​IMG]

8. danielbauwens

danielbauwens Citizen

I already don't like much how you can opt to transfer anything from the previous world over to the next, but this is clearly not an acceptable transfer. You can say how you spent all that time and effort into it, but you knew very well what you were getting yourself into when you started building. It's because of that very reason I barely built anything at all. You "messed up" by deciding to build something nice anyway. That's on you, and should not be made an exception for.

Although that's probably just me. Looks like everyone else is happy with it.

9. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

Before anything else, I "screwed" up because I had fun on a server?
    There must be something wrong with this notion.

------

With all due respect, daniel, one of the guiding visions of the world 5 move is the idea that your time is not wasted on CW. Pulling directly from the world 5 thread and tess:

Just like always, we value your time and don't want your efforts in Tesseract to go to waste. so after World 5 is created there will be plenty of time to get your move requests handled.

Now chaos world. What is the option for people who want to stretch their abilities in chaos? I built a purely aesthetic build, because I wanted to hop on the server and play. Chaos world might be the norm for another month or two while spigot sorts itself out. I would argue that there is very little wrong with moving an aesthetic build to world 5, even if it is from chaos. In fact I would be perfectly happy to have it transferred with empty chests. why not?

Your single-minded negative opinion on a "rules are rules" principle is aggravating me. This is me telling you I have a problem with your attitude. Please be mindful of other people's needs.

Rules are nice and all, but there are always exceptions

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. Fubaka

Fubaka Mod Squad

Daniel, this seems needlessly antagonistic. Ultimately, it is not up to you whether or not a build gets transferred, and there is nothing wrong with Sicarine making the request, regardless of what was said previously. Ultimately, it is up to Zolyx (and SFMosquito) whether they are willing to make an exception or not.

In future, I would recommend not behaving this way toward other members. It does not reflect well upon your character.

11. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

If I might weigh in, I think the whole business is being blown wildly out of proportion right here. Sicarine made a request to have the rather handsome Ocean house preserved in some form, and I believe I found a reasonable compromise, whereby it will be saved to our server's schematics folder, for use in events and non-survival gameplay. There's no danger of the server economy, such as it is, being tilted by our time in CHAOS, and I don't think there's any need for sharp words on any side of the equation.

I made this call at my discretion as the Op in charge of Events, and the only blame here is that I didn't make my decision loud enough for all to hear. :)

12. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

I shall respect that decision. I just wanted to be clear that I found that initial reply rude. It ticked me in a few wrong places. I do apologize (to Daniel, of course) if I came off rude in return.

13. danielbauwens

danielbauwens Citizen

Heh.
    First of all, none of this was meant as a suggestion on how the staff had to deal with this. I didn't write it that way, or intend it to be read as that way. What I did intend with it was a message to Sicarine to maybe make clear what had been said about saving builds (1) and (2) that if you decided to go ahead against what had been said you should accept those consequences that come along with it and not try to bend the rules to fit your "messing up". Let me also clarify what I mean with messing up, since you clearly took offence to that. It is not that it is wrong to build nice things or be creative, but you knew fully well going into the building what had been decided for transferring chaos world builds. So yes, in a way you "messed up".

This was not meant to become a finger pointing post, but it seems like somehow what I said was taking to almost an extreme negative, which I don't like at all. To be called antagonistic because I tried to reiterate a point about the very topic that had been stated in the main thread bugs me. Or maybe because I mentioned my opinions on the general transferring rules. Either way I think that was way more hostile than what I said to Sicarine.

Maybe it was rude, but in that sense I think it's as rude to ask for a transfer when it already has been stated that, no, you can not. (whether or not you actually got it afterwards would be irrelevant).

I think the solution/compromise by SFMosqitou is perfect, although I wouldn't have said anything should it have gone through to world 5 anyway, since the goal of my post was not to tell anyone what to decide but rather what my opinion was on the matter.

I apologise to Sicarine for the rude post, and misunderstood points. And to Fubaka for my behaviour, which apparently was problematic enough to warrant a warning.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  14. Sicarine

Sicarine Citizen

I did feel the matter was settled, but humor me for just one more post.

I urge you to be very careful with the phrase "you messed" up. The problem with using such a phrase is that (among other things) it is accusatory, it is belittling, it borders being outright condescending, and generally assumes some sort of unearned authority. It essentially falls in the same category of "sucks to be you". There are more neutral ways to reiterate a guideline or quote a mod.

And, fallacious as it may be, it actually kind of compromises any kind of point a person tries to make. That's just the way it is. Nobody enjoys feeling as if they being talked down to.

Let that be all that is said.

15. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Okay. Two things.

Chaos Mode has been running for longer than I anticipated... and there's not an end in sight yet. The recent release of Minecraft 1.13.2 that includes some important fixes for converting pre-1.13 worlds is a helpful step forwards, though a proper setup for World 5 is still being worked on.

Both Smoke and myself will be taking the unusually long run of Chaos Mode into account when it comes to shutting down the chaos world and deciding what's to be done with everything in it. As Smoke has already shown, there are other ways to preserve and use Chaos Mode builds in the future without directly adding them into World 5 when it's ready.

That said, though...

Chaos Mode is not a headstart for World 5; it's a separate thing run in a bubble to give the community something to do instead of there being an even more chaotic and unplayable Tesseract mess in the meantime.

I'll do everything I can to stand by the Cubic Worlds principle of not having your time wasted, and I appreciate that the setup of Chaos Mode is something of a nemesis to that. Again, Chaos Mode wasn't meant to be around this long, so compromises are possible. But please accept that I tried to be as clear as I could about the "what" and the "why" of Chaos Mode when it was started - and ultimately, whatever ends up happening to chaos world builds, you went into it with your eyes wide open. :)

danielbauwens likes this.