1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 15th September @ 18:30 GMT - Just Archery. It's... well, er... archery. No frills. 'Nuff said, really!
    Monday 10th September - New IP address! We've been upgraded. Join us at: 198.20.114.99 [Read more]

Server downtime for an upgrade - Monday 10th September

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

On Monday 10th September, our host will be upgrading the server hardware we live on! This is nice news, but it'll mean a couple of things:

● Cubic Worlds will be offline for around 4 hours - and I don't know exactly when the downtime will begin (though it's likely to be inside US working hours).
    ● When the server comes back online our IP address will have changed, and the 'play.cubicworlds.net' shortcut will need a couple of days to update.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I'll make sure to post the new server IP address here, on cubicworlds.net, and on Discord as soon as I know it. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

Yay! Does this mean the weird lag will stop?

3. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Perhaps - or at least it might be less weird than it currently is!

Unfortunately it seems that at the time of posting this (21:30 GMT or so), they haven't yet done the work on our server. Since I'll be sleeping soon, it's going to be tomorrow now before I can post the new IP address.

Don't panic and I'll have the new address in all the places once I wake up, assuming they've actually managed to get on with things by then :p

EDIT: Seems like nothing happened at all over Friday. After asking Nodecraft what's happening, they say:

"Hi, we apologize for that mixup. I don't believe anything will change until monday morning. I will leave a note for the developer in charge of that project, who is off over the weekend."

So, downtime will be on Monday and not Friday, some time during US working hours.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  4. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Nodecraft's maintenance has taken place and we are now on our shiny new server hardware!

Our new IP address is:

The 'play.cubicworlds.net' shortcut will be updated within the next 24-48 hours (sometimes within only a few hours if you live in the US, UK, or EU). Thanks for your patience!

5. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

First impression:
    - Everything does seem shinier somehow.
    - It logged in quite quickly, more so than it has been doing lately.
    - Things seemed to move smoothly.
    - Switching between worlds was quite quick.
    - Very nice.
    Good job, Z!

6. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Because of problems with the ShopChest plugin, for now we've returned to using normal Spigot as our server software instead of PaperSpigot. Unfortunately this means the server is back to suffering that crazy CPU bounciness and TPS lag we had before... :(

I'll be trying to get us back to normal before the weekend's event is run.

EDIT: I've just now put us back on PaperSpigot because the server was really misbehaving. Made a backup, too, just in case this new build of the server causes us troubles.

Something somewhere in Tess is setting fires to the server, I think - hopefully it's one more thing to look forward to after we get set up in World 5 and get Tess archived :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

What sort of thing would be setting fires when it's not loaded? I'm perfectly willing to decommision Lag City (a.k.a. the leathercotta army) if that would help.

8. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Well, my thinking is that your army shouldn't be the cause. They're just decorated armour stands that wouldn't need any real attention from the server. I think I'm right in saying that they also pre-date when these problems started happening.

I mean, at some point we can try an experiment and remove them temporarily, but I just don't think they're the cause. :)

9. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I'd like to report some observations. When I join or teleport, it seems to be laggy for some amount of time (maybe 1/2 minute or 1 minute) I guess while things load? After things stabilized for me this morning, when juli joined I also lagged for a similar period of time, I guess maybe while the server was loading her chunks? Same thing happened with clyde joined. We did some experimenting and it definitely seems to be related at least in part to people joining. Also heavy_longsword did some long range teleports and had a similar effect.

So...maybe the problem is the server has trouble loading chunks while doing something else?