1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 22nd July @ 18:00 GMT - PSTIM #15! Charge your lasers 'cos it's Robocraft! [Read more]
    Sunday 23rd July @ 18:00 GMT - Official CW Spleef Tournament VII! Snow will be dug. [Read more]

Official Contest [CLOSED] Portal Tower Build-off!

Discussion in 'Events and Contests' started by Zolyx, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Get your best building hats ready - it's soon time to prepare a replacement portal tower befitting the ambition of Voxellia... and you can build it!

= The contest is now closed. Judging details to be released soon. =

A bit of preamble
    Some of you may know that, some time back, Jarnakel was hired to design and build a new official portal tower. Unfortunately he seems to be inactive lately - while he got a reasonable amount of a modular portal tower complete, I don't have the files, and I'm awaiting a response to a PM I sent him a while ago to get an update. Because we need to be sorting this out as a matter of priority, I'm making the call to open this up to everyone on the server - and if Jarn returns, his work is more than welcome to be entered.

How the contest will be run
    Starting from Wednesday the 30th of April, architects have about one week to complete their vision for the new portal tower. After that week is over I'll judge the entries and pick four "finalists" to progress through to the voting stage. From there, the Cubic Worlds public will then be able to place votes on which of the designs will be crowned winner!

How to enter
    Take the portal in the temporary portal garden - the one with the green stained glass - to reach the contest area. Once there, you can use the gamemode signs to switch between Creative and Survival modes. Simply pick an empty plot and start building!

Separated inventories
    Don't be alarmed if your inventory disappears when you enter the contest area; this is normal. Your "real" inventory will return once you leave. Remember that you can return to Voxellia at any time by typing /spawn, or by simply travelling to one of your homes.

Rules (Revised 11th May)
    Because, y'know, there are always rules. ;)
    • Joint or team entries are welcome.
    • You may be involved in a maximum of 2 entries.
    • Make sure your plot has a sign near the entrance with your name (and the names of anyone you're working with).
    • Work only on your own (or your team's) plot area and not on anyone else's.
    • Keep the normal building guidelines of Cubic Worlds in mind. No diamond towers!
    • Have fun!
    Design requirements (Revised 3rd May)
    It's important that all entries will cater for some basic requirements. These include:
    • Able to fit within a 30 x 30 block area; may go above ground or below, or both.
    • Cater for a skyrail at Y100 if your tower reaches that height. See below.
    • An entrance floor must have sufficient room for "index" signs.
    • A total capacity of at least 32 portals.
    • Portal pads must be accurate; no unintentional warping from outside the pad area.
    • A section near each portal pad that the owner can customise (i.e. a "totem").
    Skyrail note: The plot for the Portal Tower in Voxellia is just north of the Skyrail station. A skyrail is already present at Y100, and the exact relative position of this skyrail track has been included in the plot. If your entry goes higher than this you will be expected to integrate the rail neatly into your design.

Judging
    Entries will be judged on a variety of points:
    • Style: How good does the tower look, both inside and out?
    • Function: How easy is it to navigate around the tower?
    • Effort: How much work and attention to detail was put into the entry?
    Good luck, marmots! Get ready to build the future!

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Koads, masternoj and SFMosquito like this.
  2. masternoj

masternoj Mod Squad

Will designs be required to leave space for a minecart portal trigger as was used for the old portal tower?

3. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Well, fair point - I normally put the clock just above bedrock in the layers Y2 to Y5. I didn't think any designs would dig that low but it never hurts to be safe :)

Bonus points to any design that includes a 1.8-safe minecart clock!

4. Ian5133

Ian5133 Citizen

Why not use hopper clocks?

5. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

If such a clock is just as reliable, by all means. Any clock that can continue functioning when the chunk(s) it's in are unloaded and loaded again is fine.

6. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

Pardon my sad sad sad lack of technical MC-lingo, what is a minecraft-clock ? All i can find is some gizmo that outputs RS-currents...

7. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

@Koads, a clock is necessary to make the portal tower work correctly. What you found is right - it's a redstone mechanism that will regularly output a signal. In this case, the signal is sent to trigger the command blocks which handle the teleports for anyone standing on a portal pad.

8. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

Lemme see if i understand this: A portal works only once, then it has to be reset and the clock sees to this ?

9. UberNinja303

UberNinja303 Citizen

The portal is just a teleport command executed by a command block. A command block executes its command once when it receives a redstone signal. In order to achieve our illusion of a portal pad, the command must execute regularly. We could skip the clock if people didn't mind pushing a button or something, but that wouldn't fit as well with our portal aesthetics.

10. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Just so I can be clear, does this mean we'll be applying the same rules as we did during the Spawn Design buildoff? (Staffers may use Creative mode to spawn materials for the contestants). I checked the OP, and couldn't find any reference to this.

11. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

@SFMosquito, once you visit the contest area things should become clear. There is no need for Officer or Mod oversight of anyone taking part; the contest area is a separate world with a separate inventory and no risk of items being tranferred into any of the server's main worlds.

12. Fubaka

Fubaka Elder

Err, I noticed that the toggle downfall command wasn't working on the world where the portals are being built.

In an attempt to fix the wiring, I ended up making it worse, due to the fact that I cannot break any blocks, only place them.

Can one of you demigod-types come in and fix this, then make toggle downfall work as advertised? :p

Also, it seems some of the working spaces have WG issues too. (Place but can't remove) Please look into this.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    jbenjamin and Qwizzy like this.
  13. Fubaka

Fubaka Elder

If I may, I would like to contest the last two 'Design Requirements', for the sake of my build design. I wanted to make a different type of 'totem', as well as portal pad for my structure that would all but eliminate the need for minecart-powered portals.

I'd like to do this partly for aesthetic reasons, but also to reduce the entity count near spawn. Please observe my portal tower as it develops and consider making this exception.

jbenjamin likes this.
  14. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Flappyflap alerted me to this problem (place but not remove blocks) yesterday, and I alerted Shabbyjazz - but he wasn't able to nail down which plugin (if any) was causing the problem. It appears to be the default spawn protection that occurs when you create a new world. We used to have the same problem in the Ore World from time to time. It probably requires the Tree to take a look, at least, that was our conclusion.

15. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

• Spawn protection removed on all worlds as we now manage this with Worldguard.
    • PvP disabled in the contest world.
    • Weather set to clear for 999,999 seconds in contest.
    • /toggledownfall now works for Mods+ however the /weather sun command is functionally similar.
    Would you care to rephrase that question? I'm sure you know that I prefer not to make changes to the rules just to suit individual entries. :)

For greater variety in everyone's designs, I'm happy to update the rules with a bit more flexibility. Let me know if the changes I've made are what you had in mind.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Fubaka likes this.
  16. Fubaka

Fubaka Elder

Poor choice of words on my part. I do hope you all know what I meant.

Regardless, the changes I wanted made have been made. Thank you Z.

17. UberNinja303

UberNinja303 Citizen

Regarding the skyrail, may we swap the stone brick blocks to other blocks? It seems appropriate that the floor of the rail line would take on the appearance of the tower while passing through it. In case it makes a difference to anybody, I happen to be the person who started laying the north line of the rail, and I'm ok with people altering the path as long as it is functionally equivalent.

18. jbenjamin

jbenjamin Citizen

I joined sry I took ians plot Ik his was moved though

19. Ian5133

Ian5133 Citizen

It's fine, I removed everything in the plot and I don't think I'll make an entry. I just forgot to remove the sign.

20. jbenjamin

jbenjamin Citizen

ok then I got lucky :D