1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 29th April @ 18:30 GMT - Leaf Spleef! Beat the leaves and the lava!
    Saturday 29th April - New Horizon reset - a fresh start for our player event world. [Read more]
    Saturday 29th April - Ore reset.

Important Citizenship changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Alrighty then - here are the promised details of changes to how players will now be promoted to Citizen. They're actually really simple and don't need a huge post, but it's still fair that I explain the reasons behind why the changes are being made.

The old philosophy
    Many moons ago, back when the server was first created, I was active on the server every day. I saw who logged in, what they built, and got a true feel for a person's attitude within CW. While this is naturally the best way to judge who I need to promote, it's impossible for me to maintain such a level of interest and activity forever. As time has gone on, I've increasingly relied on suggestions from our staffers to identify folks who should get their Citizenship status - and they've done pretty well in filling a duty I should have been covering myself.

However, given that I have chosen to keep promotion as a power exclusive to me and I've been continually distracted by other admin duties (and stuff outside of Minecraft), promotions haven't been regular or consistent for a very long time.

The process has always been quite vague based on my own ideals and preferences. If anyone asked me to explain in writing the means by which I promote players at the moment, I'm not certain that I could. Although things have worked reasonably in the past, this is clearly not cutting the mustard any more, and so it ultimately isn't fair to you, the players of CW.

Things will change with the following clearly-defined rules to govern Citizenships. All Moderators will have the power to act under these new guidelines and I hope to see a great many new green names this coming weekend!

The new philosophy
    The new promotion guide goes like this. Members are now eligible for promotion if:
    • They are in good standing and have no unresolved Courtroom cases against them
    • They have built, or helped to build, at least one house, shop, or other notable construction of reasonable size (i.e. not just a 3x3 dirt hovel)
    • They have been a Member for a minimum of 3 months
    • They have been visibly active on the server during their time as a Member
    If all these criteria are met then they will be promoted at the next "Citizen Day".

Citizen Days
    A Citizen Day will be held every fortnight on a weekend, generally before or after an event, so that the latest player or players to meet these criteria will be duly congratulated and a suitable celebration thrown for them!

CDs will be advertised in the events forum so that hopefully the Citizens-to-be can attend, but if the timing isn't convenient for them, I (or a Mod) will try to ensure that they are promoted sometime else during that weekend.

I'll be compiling a list of all players that fit these new guidelines over the course of this week, and the first Citizen Day will take place this coming Saturday. Watch out in the events forum for details.

I hope that all of these changes make sense and that they'll give some of our players the recognition they've deserved for a while. Let this be the end of a system that's become broken over time and the start of a bright future! :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

Looks awesome ! Looking forward to seeing more colored names on the server !

spawn__point and SFMosquito like this.
  3. Caltimus

Caltimus Citizen

I'm so glad you've had a chance to revise this and implement change, there are many well deserved people and I wish all the best for our future citizens.

spawn__point likes this.
  4. spawn__point

spawn__point Citizen

I'm glad you've made the guidelines more clear. I had been wondering how to become a Citizen ever since I started playing on this server (and Minecraft in general) again back in late 2013.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. Fubaka

Fubaka Elder

There is only one qualification I see here that could go awry if not clarified further:

I will assume that you do not intend to permanently bar the path to promotion for anyone who has had a courtroom case made against them, whether they be guilty of the case or not. Granted, being guilty of any misdeed will naturally make you lose your good standing, but certainly proper reprimanding should reverse that initial fall from grace. Shall I suggest a correction?

6. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

I could've sworn that was what I had originally written, but yes, you're right - I only meant Courtroom cases that hadn't been fully dealt with. Will update the OP.

Qwizzy, brickviking and Fubaka like this.