1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 22nd July @ 18:00 GMT - PSTIM #15! Charge your lasers 'cos it's Robocraft! [Read more]
    Sunday 23rd July @ 18:00 GMT - Official CW Spleef Tournament VII! Snow will be dug. [Read more]

Official Event Christmas Island 2014 [Concluded]

Discussion in 'Events and Contests' started by SFMosquito, Dec 2, 2014.

1. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Christmas Island 2.jpg

Welcome to the official Event Thread for Christmas Island, 2014!
    I'm sure you have lots of questions, so let's get right at them!
    What is Christmas Island, and what is there to do?
    It's a large, open-world island with lots of nooks and crannies just waiting for budding heroes to explore them! We've got boat races, chess sets and villager shops - with even more to come! Do as much or as little as you like! It's all up to you! The best part? Any items you earn while playing in this dimension can be taken home with you!

Where is Christmas Island?
    This year, we've given Christmas Island a special sub-dimension all of its own! Don't panic though, because in this sub-world, you'll get to keep your normal inventory. Getting there is a little more interesting: if you know where this is:
    How to Go.jpg
    then that's an excellent start. If not, head out of Spawn via the South Exit - take the first left, and then follow the path as it snakes around to the right, left and right. You'll walk past the SunnySoulSheep Memorial Stable, and find a crashed airship surrounded by snow. That's your way in!

When do I get to go, and how long is it here for?
    Christmas Island is open right now, so get your running shoes on partner! It sticks around until January the Sixth - after that day, the Island will be forced to return to the mists of the Sky, and won't return until December 2015 - so make the most of the time, while you have it!

Most importantly: is there a Secret Santa this year?
    The Secret Santa was a very popular feature of last year's Christmas Island, and yes, it's going to be making a return, along with some other features. However, there have been some minor hiccups in the development process which mean we aren't able to release it on Day One. Rest assured that our army of helper monkeys is being worked to the bone to get it open in time for a hearty giving and receiving of many wonderful gifts! Stay tuned to this post to find out when that is! In the meantime, if I were you, I'd start picking out some presents for my friends...

======================================================
    As always, if you have any further questions, suggestions, sacks of coal and most importantly presents, feel free to leave a comment in the thread below. Thanks, and enjoy the Christmas Festivities!

======================================================
    Safety advisory:
    Spoiler

A number of routes have been found (and stopped) which could theoretically give players access to the void. Due to the nature of the build, beyond the ice walls that surround it, there is void. If you find a way out of Christmas Island to the void, please alert Smoke via forum PM as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience, and as always, any loss of items can and will be refunded.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Skaibae and Jerry like this.
  2. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

OK, internet meme..FIRST IN CHRISTMAS ISLAND :)

3. Jerry

Jerry Citizen

I am so going to check this out

4. Skaibae

Skaibae Citizen

This seems like a good place to teach the TRUE meaning of Christmas-GettingGiving

5. Tommy_Walsh

Tommy_Walsh Citizen

I love how much the Cubic Worlds secret Santa has changed since I started it back in the days.

6. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

A huge thanks to SmokeAndMirrors for his tireless work on constructing this incredible Christmas Island for all of us to enjoy this year!

Jerry likes this.
  7. Macpants

Macpants Elder

I made a quick flyover for your viewing pleasure. Nothin' special. :)

ninjawolf, baba_zombie and Dwight like this.
  8. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

You might need to reset the YouTube settings on that video so that people with the link can view it - as it stands, the link doesn't work. :(

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who helped me with the monumental task of assembling summoning this thing! Honourable mentions go to Macpants, Zoombuggy, Koads, and of course, Zolyx. :D

9. Macpants

Macpants Elder

Whoops!! I believe I've now fixed the permissions issue. Happy Christmasing!

10. Tommy_Walsh

Tommy_Walsh Citizen

Is that the Christmas Tree I created legit one year?

11. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Negatory. The Helper Monkeys and I considered copy-pasting that design, but then the SmokeTech legal team started getting all uppity about "Pin-Tech Electrical Opperty" (honestly it all sounded like the usual legal team babble - someone remind me to stop sending them money). Anyhow, we decided to emulate the design, rather than copy it directly. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  12. Tommy_Walsh

Tommy_Walsh Citizen

Yeah. I know that Z saved my tree as a schematic (I think that's the WE term) for future use and it did look quite similar. However, I did question if it was mine because your is not filled with leaves just an outline unlike mine.

13. garybwatts

garybwatts Citizen

Love the island. Just wish I could have a piece of the cake sitting by the crashed airship at spawn. Is there a way to get up to the railroad bridge?

14. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

what is secret santa?

15. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

The Secret Santa is an area where people can leave each other gifts in the days leading up to Christmas. This year, due to development problems, it's going to have to hold on until the 11th of December to be released. Can you wait that long? o_O

(Here's some cake to help! :cake::cake::cake:)

16. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

oh ok :) thx

17. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Attention one and all! Exciting news! After much delay and some serious beating around of the Helper Monkeys, the Secret Santa is finally open! Woopdewoop!

===========================================================================================
    Information you need to know!
    Don't worry! We kept the red tape to a minimum!
    What is a Secret Santa anyway?
    Secret Santas are where a group of people IRL or in-game gather together to exchange presents. The catch is that donations are totally anonymous - everyone gets a box or crate, to which their chums can donate as much or as little as they want!

How do I become eligible to receive gifts?
    Anyone can claim a chest in the Cubic Worlds Secret Santa (except the CWIRCy Bot, whom we've had to disbar for multiple infractions of the "No Peeking" rule). To claim a chest, all you have to do is find one that has no sign over it, meaning that it's free for the taking! Each chest has a small area above it where you can plant a sign. Please make sure to leave your full username (even if broken over a couple of lines) - as this will help us enormously when we come to unlock the crates of goodies!

If Secret Santas really just aren't your thing though, or you don't fancy receiving presents (yes, I know, utter insanity), then all you have to do is not claim a chest! That doesn't mean you can't still participate, so read on!

What sort of things can I gift people?

More or less anything goes! Except for all the things that don't. Please make sure to give generously, and give as you would like to receive! Last year we had some small problems with "Junk" items which clogged up the chests, making it impossible for people to give real valuables to their friends! Open the spoilertag below to find out what sort of things are likely to be considered Junk:
    Spoiler

- Enderpearls and Enderman heads
    - Empty bottles
    - Rotten Flesh, bones, spider eyes
    - Unnamed gear of Iron quality or less
    - Unpigmented Leather armour
    - Sticks, random logs, doors, chests and similar random furniture
    - Poisonous Potatoes
    - Guides on How to Use the Secret Santa (Yes, this has happened before)

Remember, the Secret Santa is not a rubbish tip! Don't use it to offload your refuse onto someone else, unless you really like having all your goodies replaced with lumps of coal!

How long will the Secret Santa remain open?

You will no longer be able to give new gifts after the 26th of December: However, the chests will remain in place and ready for you to open them for as long as Christmas Island remains! (Our current Estimated Time of Departure is January 6th, but we're very very ready to extend the Island's duration if the demand is great enough!)

Can I claim a chest on someone else's behalf?
    Please don't! Last year, one of our major problems was that a lot of people received gifts they weren't even aware of! Unless you're members of the same IRL household, please don't claim a chest on someone else's behalf. Unclaimed gifts are fun for no-one. :)

I'm pumped! So where is the Secret Santa?

The Secret Santa this year is nestled under the Christmas Tree on Christmas Island. You can't miss it!
    ========================================================================================
    Thanks for your attention! I look forwards to yet another year of chestbreaking generosity! :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Koads and Jerry like this.
  18. Koads

Koads Mod Squad

I wouldnt consider enderman-heads junk. Their droprate is severely nerfed these days...

19. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

Good news, one and all! The gift giving is now complete! Thanks to every kind soul who donated something this year! And to those of you who donated nothing, a dozen hearty festive fishslaps!

Since the 25th December has finally dawned across the only country important enough to choose where GMT = 0:00 is, I have charged around the Secret Santa, punching all the locks off the presents! Can they be fixed? I'm not entirely sure! Hurry along and open your stash!
    (Don't worry, we used /cmodify, not /unlock - we're festive, not insane) :)

MEEEERRRY CHRIIIIIISTMAS!!!

Dwight, Ian5133 and Arya Oyvind like this.
  20. Arya Oyvind

Arya Oyvind Mod Squad

I was too late to the party, but I made it just in time to give something to you all. Merry Christmas!