1. Coming up next...
    ‚óŹ Monday 10th - Monday 17th December - Temporary selfhosting! Connect to 82.47.170.55 to play.

Changes in the next couple months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zolyx, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Cubic Worlds is, only naturally, seeing fewer players online at any given time, and as a result our current host has become overkill for our needs. CW will be moving to a more suitable host within the next month or two, probably using some traditional Self Hosting (TM) as temporary solution.

At the same time I'll be making a determined effort to remove any sources of server lag. This may involve trimming down the number of entities concentrated in small areas and other adjustments, but any changes will of course be respectful to your builds wherever possible.

As we look toward the server's 7th birthday (oh boy I feel old), I want to mark the occasion by having our bit of the Six Faces running as smartly as possible.

Anyone who plays MMOs or similar online games might be worried that this "downsizing" is the first step toward closing up shop entirely. This isn't like that; it's just a sensible switch away from having a whole dedicated server that's empty most of the time. :p

More details will be posted here and on Discord when I have them. :)

2. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I'm already removing my item frames in my sorter. Should I deconstruct the terra cotta army?

3. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

I wouldn't start trimming down anything you've built until I know more about why we started to have lag problems a few months ago.

It's hard to believe that a "static" entity like an item frame or armour rack would be a problem, even in large numbers. Yes, lots of them in a small area might slow your own Minecraft down with low frames per second, but they don't have AI and shouldn't need much attention from the server on each tick.

But, this is Jebcraft we're talking about, so who knows... :p

Thanks though for being willing to take the bull by the horns! I'll keep you updated.

4. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

So I've noticed lately is my sorter seems to run when I'm offline. Maybe there's stuff going on worldwide even when people aren't online?

5. Zolyx

Zolyx Evil Op

Hmmm... usually that would only happen if there was something nearby causing chunks to remain loaded even when no players were in the area. I'll add it to the "What The Deuce" list for me to try and solve :\

6. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

I tested hopper performance. In single player, a hopper takes 4 seconds to empty 10 items; exactly what the MC Wiki predicts. On CW server, in my base a hopper took 22 seconds to empty 10 items. But doors open normally, chests open normally...I understand these don't operate based on game ticks. Also, Sicarine reported that most of here redstone circuits were broken, and they relied on 1 tick pulses to spit out blocks. If the tick speed was set to a slower value, this could be the cause. Is there a way to change the overall tickspeed? Does /gamerule randomtickspeed affect redstone tickspeed? Maybe something to look at?

7. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

I have also noticed my hoppers running slow. Wasn't a problem because my sorter runs all the time. :) I also noticed this past weekend some of my sticky pistons leaving blocks of dirt behind when they had a very short pulse.

8. brickviking

brickviking Mod Squad

And a few people (me included) have been noticing that beacon effects go "offline" several times in a five minute space, i.e. once the initial run of 16 seconds has expired, it doesn't always refresh though it's supposed to refresh every four seconds.

My crude tick-tester (four redstone lamps fed by a single short-pulse clock) hasn't shown any issues that I can actually see; once we got the Xmas Island bug actually fixed, the TPS has stayed fairly high.

(Post 862)

9. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

OK, I may be wrong here, but I think my iron farm (villagers + golem + magma) may be running when I'm offline.

10. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

OK OK, I'm not wrong here. It is running when I'm offline. I'm going to vote that may be part of the server lag. I wonder if my chicken farm runs when I'm offline...

11. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

Just adding evidence. My iron farm runs, but my wheat doesn't grow when I'm offline.

12. baba_zombie

baba_zombie Citizen

Another observation: 8 items in a furnace should be cooked by exactly 1 piece of coal, but 8 items actually takes like 1.1 pieces, so 8 items will consume 2 pieces of coal.

13. brickviking

brickviking Mod Squad

For those of you who want an alternative to "wasting" coal, I could suggest switching over to saplings. Three (or four, depending) of these will cook two items, and will finally be a use for all those spare saplings you tree farmers have by the bazillions. Planks seem to work too, though I don't know if logs or sticks do.

(Post 875)

14. Big Daddy Bri

Big Daddy Bri Citizen

Another piece of information. Hoppers seem to run faster in the nether than in the normal world.