1. Coming up next...
    Saturday 29th April @ 18:30 GMT - Leaf Spleef! Beat the leaves and the lava!
    Saturday 29th April - New Horizon reset - a fresh start for our player event world. [Read more]
    Saturday 29th April - Ore reset.

Official Event [14th March onwards] Chess tournament.

Discussion in 'Events and Contests' started by Kanzaki_Nao, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

So, me and SmokeAndMirrors have organised (sorta) :p a chess tournament between the four great mob houses, Zombies, ghasts, endermen, and guardians... (we can add more or less depending on how many people want to join in)
    Please post your current minecraft name here if you would like to join in, and any dates you know you cannot do (doodle polls hates me sry.) People will be randomly allocated to houses and prizes will be given out based on how your house does. If you find you cannot make a game, please make sure to tell your house and get someone else from your house to do it.

Z Edit: Tournament signups are closed! The teams, matches and rules are below:

Kanzaki_Nao vs. ShabbyJazz - Playing 8pm GMT Saturday 14th
    Macpants vs. Redline67 - Playing 11pm GMT Friday 13th
    MeganAurora vs. Skylord542 - Playing 7pm Saturday 21st
    jb3nj4man vs. Alphagamer37 - Playing at 1am GMT Saturday 21st

Team Ghast:
    Kanzaki_Nao, Macpants, MeganAurora,jb3nj4man

Team Guardian:
    ShabbyJazz, Redline67, Skylord542, Alphagamer37

Mastnoj, you're in reserve :)

How it works:
    Then the team that wins the most matches plays itself.
    If you cannot make a match plz arrange for someone else on your team to represent you.
    May fireballs and Guardian flippers ensue! :)
    We are playing in Survival Mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Macpants

Macpants Elder

Macpants is in.

There are many evenings I won't be able to, but it all depends on how much homework I have and other activities going on. Saturdays and Sunday evenings for the next month aren't going to work though. It's hard for me to estimate, I'm sorry! I'll keep you informed as I go. :)

3. Shabbyjazz

Shabbyjazz Mod Squad

Sjabbyhazz is in too.

Although like Mac, there's uncertainty when I'll be able to join in, considering I'm in the central european time zone, and my work schedule.

4. Dwight

Dwight Citizen

Count Redline67 in! I will be on most Fridays from 10pm GMT to around 12am to 2am GMT (I think that's right)

5. Skaibae

Skaibae Citizen

Yayuh! _Skai_ shall beat you all!

6. Dwight

Dwight Citizen

Good luck, but I don't think so :p

7. jbenjamin

jbenjamin Citizen

jb3nj4man

I really can only do weekends after 12 est so yeah :(

8. meganaurora

meganaurora Member

MeganAurora is totally open on the weekends at or later than 18:00 (GMT)!:panic:

9. alphaomega967

alphaomega967 Member

How will the chess work, exactly?

Also, if it isn't PVP, or anything else laggy, AlphaGamer37 is in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

CHESS!!!
    It's finally here! Woo! So you want to know how it's all going to work? Well, now seems like as good a time as any. Let's get into it!

The Lowdown
    Chess is a non-pvp game which involves the breaking and rearrangement of a host of pieces around prearranged boards. The model we will be using for this tournament is one prototyped last year and tested again in the Christmas Island play area. The chess sets for this tournament will be located in Event Horizon, and all the necessary equipment to use them will be provided on-site. Hunger and health problems will be attended to by the use of staff magic, ensuring that you will be free to keep making those sweet, sweet plays.

Teh Rules
    - All the basic rules of chess can be found on this site:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Chess/Playing_The_Game#Overview
    and any moves detailed therein will be considered legal in a game of Minecraft chess.

- For obvious reasons, please don't interfere with someone else's match, or move someone else's pieces - unless you have specifically been nominated as a substitute by a member of your House.

- Please consider using private messages to relay information to and from your opponent: e.g. "Your move", "Okay, my turn", "Check" etc. - if there are multiple games being played, it can get very noisy and very confusing!

- A game will be considered "Abandoned" if a player logs out from the game for more than ten minutes, and no substitute player can be brought in from the abandoning player's House. The victor will be determined by a supervisor: if there was an obvious winner in the making, then the outcome may be called then and there. If neither player was close to victory, then a winner shall be determined by studying the number of captured pieces on the board. At the end of an incomplete match, the pieces are worth as follows:

Pawn = 1 Point
    Knight = 2 Points
    Bishop = 3 Points
    Rook (castle) = 5 points
    Queen (or promoted pawn) = 7 points

- A player may also resign from the game, which instantly cedes the game to their opponent.

- And, as always, if you have finished a game, and the winner has been determined, please either summon a staffer to provide a coreprotect rollback, or manually restore the board to the best of your ability. Thanks! :D

House List coming sooooooooon....

11. alphaomega967

alphaomega967 Member

In that case, I'm in. My username is in my previous post.

12. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

are takebacks allowed? if so under what circumstances? also, are we timing?

13. SFMosquito

SFMosquito Spectral Op

In order to avoid confusion, takebacks (undoing a move) will only be allowed if the move made was actually illegal, or if the player has mistakenly moved his piece when it wasn't his turn. Once the first block has been placed on a square, however, the move is considered made, and no takebacks will be tolerated! Think before you play! :D

14. Skaibae

Skaibae Citizen

Also, are we playing under the rules that pawns can only be promoted to Queens, or can they be promoted to anything the player may wish?

15. Macpants

Macpants Elder

You may also use the Mumble server if you like for your games. (It has a main lobby and two team rooms) Let me know in this thread or via PM if you'd like to request a specific time.
    • More info on my Mumble server here.
    • If you don't have mumble, you can download it here.

16. alphaomega967

alphaomega967 Member

How do you play, exactly? I know the basic chess rules already, but I don't understand how we will move the pieces.

17. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

You mine the pieces and replace them. Diapicks and food will be on site :)

18. masternoj

masternoj Mod Squad

Won't we be in creative for this?

Also, you can put masternoj down for this. I'm not sure when I'll be able to be on, but I'll try to be present as often as I can once this starts.

19. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

ok will do.

20. Kanzaki_Nao

Kanzaki_Nao Citizen

We usually play in survival mode but yh that's a pretty good idea 'noj.
    Although the mods are gonna have to make sure everyone who needs to be in creative is in creative.